11 June 2013

Wings, wings and wings

I started look at my OC's wings a little, at first they worked well and looked good but now I think I got a little lazier with them. 
If I need to say category for my swans they would be harpies. Unlike their wings my swan's wings starts from elbow. That was hard enough to decide them look good and also trying make them big enough.
Denka Black Swan, My first and loved OC (Drawn in December 4, 2011)
My plan was good how I wanted wings work. They simply fold from "wrist" like a real swan fold their wings.
Wings were quick to draw and easy to fold them to positions I wanted, actually... way too quick to draw. I started be lazy to draw all feathers, and idea wings being black I though others will not pay so much attention to them. 
Wings are kind of the most important part of my characters and I  started be lazy... That makes me shame a little when I look at my old drawings...

first sketches of wing's anatomy
To think now, wings what I've drawn doesn't really look at all like a real one. I love details of feathers and how they are perfectly in own layers. I drew them both, real like and what I have drawn. I started feel silly seeing how wings what I used to draw doesn't actually look like a wings I though they look like.

I have in my mind to update my swan's human form wings more realistic. 
I wouldn't have problem to change wing style but that my Swan's wings starts from elbow. Real wings are wide and it looks stupid to stop them to elbow like they are, that's why I made wings in the first pace to go smaller towards to the elbow. 

So my next project with my Black Swans is redesign their wings, and hopefully  they will end up look good.

Real wing and my OC's wing


Lastly I wanted add drawing of my latest anatomy study how Swan fold their wings. When swan have wings closed it looks to me only bunch of feathers (first row, 3rd picture). I just wanted make it clear to me how it works.

Anatomy of Swan folded wing

No comments:

Post a Comment